1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you
will be very painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want from me. Do not break my
spirit with your temper, though I will always forgive you.
3. Your patience will teach me more effectively.
4. Please have me spayed or neutered.
5. Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is
more grateful for your kindness than mine. Don’t be angry with me for long,
and don’t lock me up as punishment. After all, you have your job, your
friends, you’re entertainment. I have only you.
6. Speak to me often. Even if I do not understand your words, I
understand your voice when it’s speaking to me. Your voice is the sweetest sound I
ever hear, as you must know by my enthusiasm whenever I hear your footsteps.
7. Take me in when it’s cold and wet. I am a domestic animal and am no
longer accustomed to the bitter elements. I ask for little more than
your gentle hands petting me. Keep my bowl filled with water. Feed me good
food so that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding. By your
side I stand ready, willing and able to share my life with you for that
is what I live for. I’ll never forget how well you have treated me.
8. Don’t hit me. Remember I have teeth that could easily crush the bones
in your hand but I choose not to bite you. Before you scold me for being
lazy of uncooperative, ask yourself if something be bothering me.
Perhaps I am not getting the right food, I’ve been out in the sun too
long, or my heart may be getting weak.
9. Take care of me when I get old for you will grow old too.
10. When I am old, or when I no longer enjoy good health, please do not
make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun. Just see to it
that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me on that difficult journey
when it’s time to say goodbye. Never say, “I just can not bear to watch.”
Everything is easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth
knowing with my last breath that my fate was always safest in your
hands. I love you.